Using the AdvancedMD system is easy, because all it requires is a typical PC and Internet access. For best results, we post the following PC and Internet requirements, which you should consider in establishing access for your office, home, and other locations. As with all software, these requirements will change periodically as technology advances.
Please refer to this page at any time for a list of current requirements.
AdvancedMD applications generally support the two most current desktop versions of Microsoft Windows and Office (Microsoft Word/Excel), and the current version of Internet Explorer (with all Automatic Updates applied). Note: AdvancedMD supports Windows 7 and Windows 8.
- Windows XP support will end April 8, 2014.
Test your PC automatically with our Workstation Test.
For optimal performance, we suggest office machines run Microsoft Windows, Internet Explorer, and Office, and other purchased commercial software only. Avoid recreational downloads such as internet toolbars, popup blockers, etc.
- Windows 7 or Windows 8 & 8.1 operating system (server editions not supported)
- Both 32- and 64-bit operating systems mentioned in the bullet above are supported
- User accounts: Administrator or Power User access level (required for occasional ActiveX updates)
| ||Minimum 64bit||Recommended|
||Dual Core Processor
|Hard Drive Space
||20 GB Free
||20 GB Free|
|Resolution||1024x768||1366x768 (to snap apps)
iPad (including iPad mini)
|Any Apple iPad or iPad mini||iPad 2 or newer including iPad mini
|iOS5 or greater||iOS6 or greater
|Wifi + Cellular (3G, 4G or LTE)|
|1 GB plan with AT&T, Sprint or Verizon
- Adobe Acrobat Reader for workstations printing reports
- OS – Windows 7, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro (RT not supported)
- Speech to Text (Dragon Medical 10 & 11)
- Office Professional Suite – Required version is 2010, min. is 2007 with at least Word & Excel
- Web Browser – Internet Explorer 32 Bit, Versions: IE8, IE9, IE10, IE11
- Adobe PDF/Acrobat Reader (latest version)
Your connection should meet the following minimums:
|concurrent users (sharing this connection) ||Min Download*||Min Upload*|
|1-5 concurrent users||512 Kb/s||256 Kb/s|
|6-10 concurrent users||768 Kb/s||384 Kb/s|
|11-20 concurrent users||1024 Kb/s||384 Kb/s|
|21-30 concurrent users||1.5 Mb/s||512 Kb/s|
|More than 30 concurrent users||T1 or higher|
|Latency test average**||< 100 ms|
* Recommended tested speed. This is the tested actual speed, not the speed listed by your
Internet Service Provider. Much like automobile gas mileage ratings,
your actual speed may vary from the listed speed.
** From a command prompt, type "ping www.advancedmd.com". The result average time should be less than 100 milliseconds.
Verify your network speed with speedtest.net.
- Heavy usage: If you are a billing office, you should consider the next higher level of recommended speeds for your office size.
- Other Internet traffic: The speeds recommended pertain to the AdvancedMD applications only. If there is additional Internet traffic in the office (web browsing, etc.), you may wish to use higher speeds.
- Multiple locations: We strongly recommend an independent Internet connection for each location.
EHR Bandwidth Requirements
AdvancedMD EHR has faster Internet bandwidth requirements and we recommend minimum requirements for connections to help you achieve an optimal experience.
Home Internet service bandwidth packages, such as DSL packages, provide a higher speed for downloading information and a much lower speed for upload of information. The AdvancedMD EHR software downloads patient historical information as well as uploads the documentation inputs and data scanned into to the patient record. This interaction requires a higher upload speed than most home Internet service packages offered.
AdvancedMD EHR requires a minimum upload and download bandwidth rate of 1.5 Mb/s for the AdvancedMD EHR application. If the practice has other applications or Internet uses, the connection must be greater than 1.5 Mb/s.
When shopping for Internet Service Providers (ISP), ask for definite upload speeds of 1.5 Mb/s that the ISP can guarantee. Most of the Internet Service Providers offer at least Business Connection Plans with minimum upload speeds of 1.5 Mb/s.
Example costs for Business Connection plans***
- Mid-level Business Account
- 22 Mb/s download
- 5 Mb/s upload
- Premium-level Business Account
- 50 Mb/s download
- 10 Mb/s upload
AdvancedMD recommends the premium or higher level of connectivity for the best user experience.
***Internet service providers, service areas, packages rates vary by location. Pricing above based on Comcast service rates in zip code 84020 on March 2, 2010. The information above is for example purposes only. Please check your providers within your business area for services, packages and pricing.
Optimal Bandwidth Recommendations for EHR
The table below provides the required ISP bandwidth recommendations for an optimal AdvancedMD EHR experience. Please note that these numbers are estimates based upon average product usage. Extensive use of scanned documents may require higher bandwidth speeds.
Concurrent Users (Sharing Single Connection)
|Min Download||Min Upload||Rec. Upload|
|1-5 concurrent users with latency <100ms||1.5 Mb/s||1.5 Mb/s||5 Mb/s|
|6-19 concurrent users with latency <100ms||3 Mb/s||3 Mb/s||10 Mb/s|
|>20 concurrent users||Call for recommendation|
- Upload speed is important when using AdvancedMD EHR compared to just normal Internet browsing.
- Bandwidth requirements vary based upon number of users, amount of activity, and the size of file attachments.
- If there is additional Internet traffic in the office, you may wish to use higher speeds.
- When checking with Internet Service Providers (ISP) you need to ask for definite upload speeds within a very small range that they can guarantee.
- In most situations you will want to have the middle or highest Business Class Internet plan from your ISP to have Internet speeds you are happy with when using AdvancedMD EHR.
- Connecting multiple locations? We recommend an independent Internet connection for each location.
- The speeds recommended in the table above pertain to the AdvancedMD EHR application only.
- Windows compliant laser printer (recommend HP)
- Optional: Label printer (recommend Seiko or Dymo)
- Avoid all-in-one machines (print/fax/scan) and dot-matrix printers
- TWAIN-compliant full-sheet scanner (recommend CanoScan) that can upload for integrated fax (bulk is recommended)
- Optional: Card scanner for insurance cards (recommend ScanShell 800NR for Windows 7 & 8)
- Credit Card Readers
- Should have a local connection to the PC (not network only)
- Avoid all-in-one machines (print/fax/scan)
Still have questions? Contact us or call (800) 825-0224.
Rev date: May 13, 2013