In part one of this blog post, we discussed ways that technological innovations are going to change medicine in the near future, especially following many of the dramatic changes required by the COVID-19 pandemic. In this blog, we’ll cover a few more innovation trends.
This isn’t necessarily a technology innovation, and many providers have been focusing on patient-centered care for a while now, but technology can significantly improve your ability to meet patients’ needs at every point in the patient journey.
- Online scheduling makes it easier and more convenient for patients to schedule appointments and see availability in your providers’ schedules
- Automated appointment reminders via text and email reduce no-show rates and ensure that patients arrive on time for their scheduled appointments
- Electronic check-in capabilities allow patients to reduce wait time in the clinic and verify their information so you can limit simple errors that could lead to a denied claim
- Customizable EHRs allow providers to see and access the information they need to provide the highest level of care while focusing on the patient during each encounter
- Telemedicine and telehealth software allows providers and patients to find the most convenient options for care, which may not always be in person
- Integrated practice management software, EHRs, and medical billing software allow you to get claims submitted sooner, send bills for any remaining balance to the patient quickly, and accept payments online
- Patient portals give your patients the ability to see and manage their own health records, as well as share them with other providers if they get care outside your system
- Remote patient monitoring and other telehealth tools allow you and your patients to monitor their health without the need for multiple in-person appointments that take up valuable time in your schedule and in your patient’s day
One of the big trends in healthcare today is toward integration, especially within each clinic. Many practices have put together a patchwork of technology, getting various parts of your practice management software from multiple vendors. The challenge with these disparate systems is that your vendors will require patches and workarounds to make the systems talk to each other. Usually, the end result of that is a system that doesn’t work well and just frustrates you, your staff, and your patients. Finding integrated solutions that allow you to build a modular system based on your specific practice needs, and add on more pieces later as your needs change or your practice grows, creates a better overall care experience for everyone. It also eliminates the need to hire developers to build a bridge between systems.
Preparing for the Future
If your clinic isn’t prepared for the technological shifts and innovations that are coming, now is the time to start. AdvancedMD offers a full suite of practice management software solutions that will help you move forward and improve care while ensuring viability for your practice long into the future. Talk to us today to schedule a demo.