SEARCH LEARNING CENTER
Meaningful Use Modified Stage 2
The EHR Incentive Programs in 2015 through 2017 (Modified Stage 2) reflect changes to the objectives and measures of Stages 1 and 2 to align with Stage 3, which focuses on the advanced use of EHRs. The changes also aim to reduce the complexity of the program and work toward a shift to a single set of sustainable objectives and measures in 2018. Redundant, duplicative, or topped out measures have been removed.
There are 10 objectives for EPs including one consolidated public health reporting objective to successfully demonstrate meaningful use for an EHR reporting period in 2015 through 2017.1
- Protect Patient Health Information: Protect electronic health information created or maintained by the CEHRT through the implementation of appropriate technical capabilities.
- Clinical Decision Support (CDS): Use clinical decision support to improve performance on high priority health conditions.
- Computerized Provider Order Entry (CPOE): Use computerized provider order entry for medication, laboratory, and radiology orders directly entered by any licensed healthcare professional who can enter orders into the medical record per state, local, and professional guidelines.
- Electronic Prescribing (EPs): Generate and transmit permissible prescriptions electronically (eRx); (Eligible hospitals/CAHs) Generate and transmit permissible discharge prescriptions electronically (eRx).
- Health Information Exchange: The EP, eligible hospital or CAH who transitions their patient to another setting of care or provider of care or refers their patient to another provider of care provides a summary care record for each transition of care or referral.
- Patient-Specific Education: Use clinically relevant information from CEHRT to identify patient specific education resources and provide those resources to the patient.
- Medication Reconciliation: The EP, eligible hospital, or CAH who receives a patient from another setting of care or provider of care or believes an encounter is relevant performs medication reconciliation.
- Patient Electronic Access: (EPs) Provide patients the ability to view online, download, and transmit their health information within 4 business days of the information being available to the EP. (Eligible hospitals/CAHs) Provide patients the ability to view online, download, and transmit their health information within 36 hours of hospital discharge.
- Secure Electronic Messaging (EPs only): Use secure electronic messaging to communicate with patients on relevant health information.
- Public Health Reporting: The EP, eligible hospital or CAH is in active engagement with a public health agency to submit electronic public health data from CEHRT, except where prohibited and in accordance with applicable law and practice.
Read more detail: Modified Stage 2, Objectives and Measures for 2015 through 2017.
Special thanks to Debra Harris
AdvancedMD Clinical Product Manager