Many physicians and other health educators are recognizing that certain patient populations are lacking to understand basic healthcare information and what they need to do with that information once received. There is a growing number of patients who are taking a more proactive role in their own healthcare. We believe all patients should have excellent access to educational resources that are timely and easily understood. This is why we created AdvancedPatient and we can help all your patients improve their health outcomes and your operational efficiencies.
Patient education needs to be comprehensive and easily understood in order to create the greatest patient impact in improving health outcomes. Our educational content lets you control the content. Simple language preference settings let you send education in English and Spanish. The translation to Spanish is automatically done for you.
Unified. Bring your health education and data together, all in one place. Consistent education across your entire enterprise creates one uniform voice to support a patient-centered standard of care. Deploying education resources for multiple specialties, providers and locations is consolidated and manageable by a central person or team.
Efficient. It’s frustrating to go from system to system and platform to platform. With AdvancedMD, all your workflow is unified on a single platform, simplifying and streamlining the care coordinator workflow with deploying health education and patient adherence.
Personal. Customize educational content according to strategic initiatives and organize documents and videos around the conditions important to your practice. Deliver consistent education from your care coordinators across all your sites.
Mobile. In addition to hardcopy printouts at your practice, offer patient education across mobile and laptop devices. You can also include streaming video or user-tested decision aids – whatever you and your patients need, we can help.
Compliant. Seamlessly leverage standards-based health education from a variety of HIT systems and platforms. We monitor clinical guidelines and make content updates whenever change happens, so you can always provide up-to-date health education.
Engaging. Personalize the educational experience with multi-media resources and help patients become more engaged and excel in self-management. Our health education is easy to understand, offered in English and Spanish, and personalized to motivate healthy behaviors.
Tips to a successful patient education program
- Increase responsibilities of health educators as champions of your education program and build a culture of patient education across your entire practice.
- Educate patients starting from the first encounter using tools such as text, email and voice appointment reminders.
- Listen to the patient and learn about their knowledge. Use education to supplement their awareness and correct any misinformation.
- Speak human (or is that humanly?). Utilize visual aids, 3D models and imagery as often as possible.
- Question patient understanding of their care, listen, learn and use a variety of highly-relevant resources at each step of their progress.
- Roleplay with patients. Have patients explain their diseases or treatments in the way they would to loved ones.
- Medication adherence starts with understanding. Make sure patients can repeat back to you how and when to refill medications. Ensure patients can recognize signs and symptoms of their condition that will require immediate attention and what to do if a problem arises.
- Use a patient portal for patient messaging and offer as much assistance as possible.
- Call patients (yes, on the phone) to check on their progress and experience with your educational resources.