An executive order issued on Monday is aimed at improving rural healthcare accessibility, so patients have ongoing access to high-quality healthcare and expanded telehealth (telemedicine) services. Revenue for rural providers varies significantly month to month, making it difficult to stay in business.
Nearly 25 percent of the U.S. patient population resides in rural communities. The executive order expansion is focused on this rural population segment by increasing telehealth services and giving rural patients quality medical services including primary, acute and urgent care, nurse consultations, behavioral health, and speech and occupational therapy. This is not a temporary initiative, but a permanent expansion of many telehealth services beyond the COVID-19 pandemic.
Telehealth Services Improve Healthcare in Rural and Metro Communities
Telehealth use has skyrocketed during the pandemic and the telehealth revolution is here to stay. Here are several ways telehealth can improve rural healthcare and how it’s being supported:
- Expanded access to medical care is essential to fighting the COVID virus.
- During the pandemic, CMS has enabled Medicare to cover more than 135 services through telehealth.
- Additional specialties are being added to the allowable telehealth services.
- CMS significantly expanded allowable reimbursement for telehealth services.
- Medicare patients living in all areas of the country can get convenient, high-quality care from the comfort of their home and avoid unnecessary exposure to the virus.
- CMS’ annual Physician Fee Schedule and Quality Payment Program updates Medicare payment rates.
AdvancedMD Telehealth and Patient Engagement tools are the Ideal Solution for Rural Communities
AdvancedMD offers a special cloud-based software bundle called AdvancedMD @home. It’s easy for you and your patients to use. In this video we share how you are able to work remotely, see patients and stay connected. We demo telemedicine, ePrescribing, patient portal, patient education, self-service scheduling, automated appointment reminders, staff and physician messaging, and online patient consent and intake forms. Learn the key features we include that can enable you to treat existing rural health patients, expand your reach and add an additional revenue stream to your practice.